Sunday, July 13, 2008

Alaska Missions..What a week!

On Tuesday July 1, 2008 I left for a 9 day mission trip to Kotzebue, Alaska. I could have never prepared myself for what I would see, hear or do while I was there. I had the most amazing team ever and we got along great, I learned about everyone and how many of us had the same stories of how we got to go on the mission trip. God wanted us each there, thats for sure. I have no doubt looking back that He planned it all out. From 7 of us missing our flight in Ancourage to being without power for nearly 8 hours and the wind on the 4th of July. God had it all planned out. We filled 576 buckets with new bibles, cds, toothrbrushes, toothpaste, chapstick and lotion & nearly 340 kids bags full of toothbrushes, chapstick, lotion, coloring books & crayons and toys. We had so much fun giving these things for FREE (These things that the First Baptist Church of Kotzebue sponsors are the only things given out for free), We painted hundreds of faces & gave out nearly 1,000 sno-cones and only stopped when we ran out of ice...yes we were very disappointed. I got tosee God's beauty everyday and lived for each morning that I got up to see the ocean and the mountains! God is so good. Our first day of crafts and games for kids we had 15 kids (which was a great turnout) But God couldn't have prepared me for what happened next. The next day (sunday) i went upstairs to help Matt & Tammy Hoke (the associate pastor and his wife) do Kids Club for K-5th graders and we had 29 kids and then Monday we did our second day of Crafts and games and had 33 kids at the church and 4 walk up when we were playing games making a total of 37kids!!! Wow! Isn't God simply amazing. But what is more amazing is what i learned this past week. God is great for one thing. One night I sat down in John Forresters living room just listening to him tell story after story of how he baptized a lady in September in the Arctic Ocean and how they were reaching out to certain people in the community. When a grown man cries when telling stories of how $50,000 that it took them to get there...its all worth it to him and he will tell you Hes exactly where God wants him to be. You know God is there amongst the people...amongst the friendships that the missionaries are making and the many stories of how God has done some amazing things. It gives us hope! While I was there I was listening to my MP3 and heard this song by: Audio Adrenaline
Hands & Feet
An image flashed across my TV screenAnother broken heart comes into viewI saw the pain, and I turned my backWhy can't I do the things I want to?I am willing yet I'm so afraidYou give me strengthWhen I say{chorus}:I wanna be Your handsI wanna be Your feetI'll go where You send meI'll go where You send meI'll be Your handsI'll be Your feetI'll go where You send meI'll go where You send meAnd I try, yeah I tryTo touch the world like You touched my lifeAn I'll find my wayTo be Your handsI've abandoned every selfish thoughtI've surrender everything I've gotYou can have everything I amAnd perfect everything I'm notI am willing, I'm not afraidYou give me strengthWhen I say...This is the last timeI turn my back on YouFrom now on I'll go outSend me where You want me toI finally have a missionI promise I'll completeI don't need excusesWhen I am Your hands and feetI am Your hands and feet
This song made me realize what a urgency it is for us to work in mission and do missions. But missions aren't all about traveling to Alaska or Mississippi or going and building someones home but missions can be in our homes, schools, neighborhoods and churches too.
So this year I've committed to being the Hands and Feet of Christ. Who will join me on this journey? I'm not sure but if you will commit to being the Hands and Feet of Christ please leave comments.
God is good & Holy & Deserves all of our Honor, Glory & Praise!
Lets be His HANDS & FEET!

**ALASKA PICTURES BELOW~~CHECK THEM OUT & LEAVE COMMENTS**

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am proud for you & the whole team. I noticed a name ( Hoke ). Just funny the names you can find. And I don't mean that in a ha ha way.Memories for a life time. I prayed for All to have a safe jouney. My prayers were answered.