Wednesday, September 21, 2011

My Harvest Field...

Matthew 9:35-38 "Jesus went through all the towns and villages, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the good news of the kingdom and healing every disease and sickness. When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd. Then he said to his disciples, 'The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few, Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field.'"

This passage of scripture has come up LOTS lately. We talked about it in church on Sunday and once again the Lord has brought it to mind. Over the last two years, my community has suffered great loss - teenager after teenager, dying untimely deaths. And I tell the Lord I don't understand, I beg Him to help me understand, to give me a glimpse into the bigger picture because I keep asking, "Lord, how much more can we take?" "What are you trying to do? get our attention? Lord, you have mine!" I don't even know many of these students but I know the Lord knew them and He weeps.



So I ask the Lord, Lord, what are you doing? What are you calling me to? What am I to do? And He lays this scripture on my heart - The harvest is plentiful, abundant, overflowing but the workers are few, little, scarce & my heart aches, it aches for God's children, it aches because their are simply some things i won't understand on this side of heaven. 


After my heart is done aching, God begins calling my heart to action. You see every Thursday night I've committed to teaching a High School Girl Small Group, at least for now. Where is this small group in all of this? What about the multitudes of teenagers I know? Who will remind them that they are cared about and loved? And the Lord reminds me that I can do that! I can't go back into the high school, my time has passed. Bu I can encourage the teenagers I know, I can be there for them. I can encourage them and love them and encourage them to make a difference. I can smile a little more, give a little more and ask the Lord to stretch and pull me just a little more. 


The Harvest is Plentiful, abundant and overflowing but the workers are few, scarce...


Lord, Please send workers into your harvest fields. Help us to daily put on your Armor (Ephesians 6:10-20) Help me to be bold in my walk, in my faith to stand strong and be courageous. Lord, allow me to be a worker in your harvest fields - to encourage, smile, pray and care! 


What is your Harvest Field?

No comments: